Engine 4

e4


engine-4_orchard-and-5th_1881

ID: E4-1
Address: Orchard (later Elizabeth) between 5th and 6th
Built: 1865
Disposition: Razed
Notes: Engine 4 organized 1865, relocated to E4-2 in 1873.
Operational Period: 1865 to 1873

Image Source: Courtesy of the Burton Historical Collection, Detroit Public Library. Link

Description: Fire engine house, Orchard & Fifth, 1881; Orchard now Elizabeth, Engine 4 built February 1865.


engine-4_18-at-howard_1881

ID: E4-2
Address: Howard and 18th
Built: 1873
Disposition: Razed
Notes: New firehouse built on same site E4-3 in 1897.
Operational Period: 1873 to 1897

Image Source: Courtesy of the Burton Historical Collection, Detroit Public Library. Link

Description: Engine house 1881, 18th St. near Howard St.


engine4-pin

Image Source: Link

gm-e4-2

ID: E4-3
Address: Howard and 18th
Built: 1897
Disposition: Closed
Notes: Engine 4 disbanded 1976.
Operational Period: 1897 to 1976

Image Source: Google Maps

Engine Company 4

engine4b

Image Source: Detroit Historical Society. Link

Description: ”K.C. Barker” Engine Company in front of the fire station building on Orchard Street. The horse-drawn steam fire engine is parked on the street in front of the 2-story brick fire station. Five firemen (wearing helmets) are standing near the horse and wheel at the front of the steam engine, one fireman is seated in the driver’s seat, and four firemen are standing adjacent to the rear wheel of the fire engine. The fireman who is nearest to the horse’s head is wearing a belt with the lettering, ”Foreman.” The fireman who is standing above the rear wheel axle is wearing a belt with the lettering, ”Engineer.” All of the other firemen are wearing belts which show the name ”K. C. Barker.” Circa 1878. Shown in front of Engine 4-1.